About The Artist:
My name is Laura Hogan.
I am a creative explorer with a curiosity for the human experience & processes of meta-cognition.
My artistic development is entwined with my life-long curiosity about phenomenology and the subjective nature of the shared human experience. While my work has evolved over time to cover many mediums, its intent has always been to inspire conversations about the subjective realities created by the human mind. I am inspired by the study of neuroscience, particularly in the small areas of the brain called synaptic clefts. Within these microscopic spaces measuring only 20-40 nanometers across, all experience of reality and communication as we know it is made possible. The works I create are artistic depictions of action potentials (thoughts) traveling from one neuron to the next through the synaptic clefts via a process called neurotransmission. Through these creations, I am able to explore how neurotransmission might look within my own mind. Once a piece is presented, the viewer is then responsible for generating their own interpretation. This is another form of transmission, which then leads to conversation. My goal is to inspire my viewers to better understand the differences in human perspectives and to strive to see one another’s points of views more clearly. My motivation is to delve into the relativity of the mind in order to illuminate the endless interpretations derived from a single work of art.
Creating Consciousness with Each Line Since 1989.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
2018 Foundations Course of Art Therapy. Metafora Centre d’estudis d’artterapia. Barcelona, Catalonia.
2017 Chandra Yoga International Yoga Teacher. Rishikesh, India.
2016 BFA in Painting & Drawing: Concentration in Sculpture, Minor in Psychology: concentration in Neuropsychology, Marylhurst University, Marylhurst OR, USA.
2011 Associate of Arts Degree, Portland Community College, Portland OR, USA.
2009 TEFEL Professional Certificate, TEFEL Institute, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
2006 High School Diploma, Kagman High School, Saipan, MP, Northern Marianas Islands.
- Currently Represented by Exposed – A Space For Art https://www.exposedspace.com/.
- 2020 Artios Gallery, “United Through Art”, virtual group exhibition. https://www.artiosgallery.com/event-info/united-through-art .
- 2020 The Artli Gallery, May artist of the Month, https://www.artligallery.com/
- 2020 Virtual Artist Residency with Cel del Nord. Cel del Nord, Plaça Major 4, Oristà 08518 Barcelona, https://celdelnord.com/past-residents.
- 2020 ART Russia, Moscow, Gostiny Dvor, st. Ilyinka, house number 4, Moscow Russia, https://artrussiafair.com/artist/.
- 2019 The Old Biscuit Factory with Art Number 23 “Synergic”, group show, 100 Clements rd, Block F SE 16 4DG, London.
- 2019 Artist Residency with Cedarwood Arts, Plymouth, England.
- 2018 Zverev Contemporary Art Centre. “Present, Perfect, Continuous” exhibition with Art23. 29, Novoryazanskaya St., Moscow
- 2018 Teacher/Assistant to Potter Adrian Wistreich at Kinsale Pottery, Kinsale, Ireland. http://www.kinsaleceramics.com/index.php/about.
- 2018 The Olcote Gallery, “Thought Illustrations”. Kinsale Pottery, Kinsale, Ireland.
- 2018 The Boat House Gallery, “Thought Illustrations”, Kinsale, Ireland.
- 2016 THRIVE Yoga & Wellness Gallery Exhibition “Creative Neurological Consciousness”, 7831 SE Stark St. #300, Portland, OR 97215, USA.
- 2016 SE Grind Gallery Exhibition “Creative Neurological Consciousness”, 1223 SE Powell Blvd, Portland, OR, 97202, USA.
- 2015 Graduate Thesis Exhibition, “Shedding Layers”, Art Gym Gallery, Marylhurst University, Portland, OR, USA.
- 2015 Mayer Arts Gallery, “Hidden Layers: A World of Forgotten Time”, solo show, Marylhurst University, Portland, OR, USA.
- 2014 Spare Room Gallery, group exhibition Marylhurst University, Portland, OR, USA.
- 2014 Honorary Award, Lake Oswego Juried Art Fair, Lake Oswego, OR, USA.
- 2014 Assistant to Artist John Frame. http://johnframesculpture.com/
- 2013 AFRU Gallery showing “Out of the Woods”, 534 SE Oak St. Portland, OR, 97214, USA.
- 2012 Official artist for Earth Day Portland Community College & City Repair Project, Portland OR, USA.
- 2011 Creation of mural for John’s Bar & Grill in North Portland, OR, USA.
- 2008 Belmont Apartment gallery opening, group show, Portland OR, USA.
- 2005-2006 Flame Tree Arts Festival, Saipan, MP.
2015 Knight-Transfer Student Scholarship: Mr. & Mrs. Philip Knight, Marylhurst University.
2014 Mayer Arts Scholarship, Marylhurst University, Marylhurst Oregon.
2006 President’s Education Awards Program: In Recognition of Outstanding Academic Achievement, Kagman High School.
2020 Featured in Artmosphere Magazine, https://es.calameo.com/read/0063013924627ff836f1a, pg. 38-39.
2020 Featured in BlueBee Magazine – Volume 4, pg. 59 – https://www.bluebeegallery.com/bluebee-magazine
2018 Featured Artist in Present, Perfect, Continuous .
2013 Honorable Mention. Lake Oswego Center for the Arts Festival. https://www.lakewood-center.org/pages/lakewood-festival-award-winners-2013
2013 Out of the Woods Exhibition, AFRU Gallery. http://www.afrugallery.com/out-of-the-woods/index.html
2019 KLM Aruba Marathon, Aruba.
2019 Baikal Ice Marathon, Siberia, Russia.
2018 The Sahara Marathon, Saharawi Refugee Camp, Algeria, Africa.
2008 The Original Marathon, Athens Greece.
2008 The Portland Marathon, Portland Oregon, USA.
2007 Gold Coast Marathon, Gold Coast Australia.
2005 The Great Wall Marathon, China.